Thursday, June 2, 2011

Zwieback day...

If only you could smell the wonderful smell that I smelled today (say that three times fast!). Anyways, today was zwieback baking day! YUMMY! If you don't know zwieback is, then you are seriously missing out. Zwieback are white buns that are seriously good! You're probably thinking, "Oh, how wonderful. It's just a regular bun." (in case you didn't catch on, there was a little bit of sarcasm in that. Oh wait, you're the one thinking it!) But let me tell you, they are NOT! Don't even think it. (Does that paragraph make any sense? :)

If you haven't had zwieback, then you, my poor, zwieback deprived friend, have just got to start a batch this very moment.
We (my brother, my sister, and me) all stopped our school (we're homeschooled) and helped (our mom) shape the buns! They are so good!



This is not my pic. It's from an awesome blog called Mennonite Girls Can Cook. They post a recipe every single day - and they even have a cookbook!

Here's the recipe:

9 cups flour
1 cup butter
4 cups warmed milk
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons yeast (heaping)
1 tablespoon salt (heaping)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup flour (for kneading)

With a pastry blender, cut butter into 9 cups flour. Soften yeast in warm water (when using quick rising yeast, add directly to flour). Add salt to warm milk and mix yeast and milk into flour. Combine and let dough rest 15 to 20 minutes. Knead dough until smooth. Let rise to double. Form into balls and place on cookie sheets covered with parchment. Make the second ball smaller than the first and put them together (so there's a bottom and a top). Let rise to double. Bake in hot oven at 400F/200C for 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I like Mennonite Girls Can Cook, Also. It wouldn't meet with current food-snob approval, but that's okay with me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!