Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

This bread is sooooo good! I love how the swirl looks! It's basically a cinnamon bun, in bread form. It tastes good with butter, or icing, or by itself.




To make:
1/2 cup warm water
2 packages dry yeast
(1 tablespoon sugar)

Combine and stir until dissolved. Set aside. (Use 1 tablespoon of the sugar listed below.)

1 cup milk, scalded
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt

Combine and stir until melted. Cool to lukewarm, then add to yeast mixture.

1 egg, slightly beaten
2/3 cup orange juice
2 cups flour

Add, beating until smooth. Let rest 10 minutes.

5 to 5 1/2 more flour.

Add and knead until smooth and elastic.

Grease top and place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down. Divide dough into two balls. Let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each ball into a 7 by 15 rectangle, 1/2 inch thick.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Mix.

2 tablespoons melted butter.

Spread over dough. Then sprinkle with brown sugar mixture (mentioned above).

Roll up rectangles jelly-roll fashion and place in 2 greased 9 by 5 loaf pans, sealed side down. Grease tops with oil or melted butter. Let rise until double again. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Grease tops with butter while hot. (May omit orange juice and use additional milk instead.)

Yield: 2 loaves

3 comments:

  1. MMMM! Lol, no mistakes this time I see :)
    Looks really good!
    I play both the violin & paino too~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully, no. I'm sure I'll make some mistakes soon, though. I always do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMIE!!!
    I love cinnamon! (My opa doesn`t though. All the more for me!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!